They are rich, sweet and totally sinful! A must for the holidays.
- 12 tart shells (I use premade; you can make your own from scratch if you wish)
- 250 ml (1 cup) packed brown sugar
- 1 cup seedless raisins
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) melted butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 25 ml (1 tsp) cream
- 5 ml vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Soak raisins in small amount of water- just enough to moisten- and place in microwave for one minute on high. This is a ‘family secret’ passed down from my grandmother to my mother and now to me. It softens the raisins and makes the tarts even better.
- Combine ingredients one at a time
- Fill tart shells one half full
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until nicely browned
Wait until they are completely cool before devouring. Or, you may freeze them, separating each layer with some wax paper; they keep for a couple of weeks.
Be forewarned that if you share these, people may beg you for them annually!
Next time we make these, I think I might try soaking the raisins in rum instead of water. I think it could add a nice zing.